The Kuntsi Collection – 50th Anniversary of the Kuntsi Foudation
The exhibition of the Kuntsi Collection celebrates the Kuntsi Foundation’s 50th anniversary. Consul Simo Kuntsi (1913–1984) established a foundation carrying his name in 1970. The Kuntsi Foundation became known in the 1970s for its candid approach of displaying its ever-growing collection in a public space, the new Vaasa Commercial School. By the initiative of the Kuntsi Foundation and on the base of its collections, the City of Vaasa established the Kuntsi Museum of Modern Art in 2007.
The foundation’s core idea has been to collect and exhibit fresh approaches in the art world alongside phenomena from recent history and to offer perspectives on contemporary art to the public. The collection of Kuntsi Foundation has grown to be significant, and is characterized especially by the acquisitions from the 1960s to 1980s. The 50th anniversary exhibition of Kuntsi Foundation displays the core of the collection – art from the 1960s to 1980s and some of the later acquisitions mixed in with examples of works made by young international artists in 1968-71. The exhibition consists of over 140 art works by 66 artists.
The exhibition is curated by the representative of Kuntsi Foundation, museum director emerita Anne-Maj Salin.
Photo: Tuomo Lukkari, Angelus.